Monday, April 25, 2005

BusterStronghart@Gmail.com

A few months ago I noticed that an index listing in the NY Public library was incorrect.
Man Ray was listed as "Ray, Man," as though his last name was Ray. ..

Man Ray created his name and considered it as one piece. MAN RAY.

The listing should be "Man Ray." I reported this to the NY Public Librarian at 42nd Street, and was told that it was not under their control, but rather under the control of the Library of Congress (LOC). I followed up with a letter to the "Name Authority File," of the LOC, in Washington, D.C.

Yesterday I received an email from them. “After a month of research we have discovered that you are correct. The change has been made. Thank you for your message."

This change will affect thousands of college and town libraries all of which use the LOC system as well as some commercial libraries.

I was elated! I finally made my mark.. Now on to the Dewey decimal system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?